-
March 24th, 2006, 02:00 PM
#1
Inactive Member
Hello, I just recently purchased a set of the 604-E2Vs. They have red labels on the horn driver caps. Are they what i have heard called the red series? They were with a pair matering lab 604 xovers. I wish i had the fund to have bought the xovers as well but couldn't . Anyone know if they have the tangerine Phase plugs? They are alos the older rear mount frames are they Equivalent to a 604 E as far as specs. Thanks for any help, Roger
-
March 24th, 2006, 10:49 PM
#2
Inactive Member
I'm pretty sure they are basically the same as your standard 604E except they will have 8-ohm voice coils. What do you get for DC resistance at the driver terminals?
Dave
-
March 26th, 2006, 03:43 AM
#3
Inactive Member
Hello, I just paid for them and haven't received them in the mail yet. After looking again at the pix one of them is the new 16" frame and the other the older smaller frame. I guess the one is like a 604 8-g and the other an older one like a 604 E. Do you think someone switched the caps on the speakers? I got an email from someone that said they should be on the later larger frame. Any help or thoughts appreciated and Thanks Dave
-
March 27th, 2006, 08:56 PM
#4
Inactive Member
What you have are the OEM versions of the 604 that were sold to Audio Techniques of Stamford Commecticut as part of their series of Big Red studio monitors. As you have discovered, the Mastering Labs cross-over was a key component of that series.
As far as I can tell, the Big Red series was in production from the early to late 70's. This would cover the Altec branded E, G, H and likely the K series as well. The few I have seen on Ebay have either been the E or the G series but always carried a 604-E2 label.
I would guess that you have one E and one G series 604, but both are likely properly labeled as 604-E2 in their OEM guise for Audio Techniques. The differences between the E and G series are convoluted to describe as the 604 evolved even within each series model.
Originally, the 604E was a 16 ohm driver in a 15" frame. In the late 60's Altec switched to a standard 8 ohm impedence on all of their drivers so that the 604E became the 604E-8G. In 1974, Altec switched to 16" frames on their formerly 15" drivers. It was around this time that Altec forshortened the model name by dropping the "E" to become the 604-8G (this is why there never was an "F" labeled model). There was apparently no difference electrically or mechanically from the previous 15" version. However, in 1976, Altec replaced the phasing plug on the now labeled 604-8G from the previous circumferential type to the new radial Tangerine plug. However, it continued to be branded the 604-8G. Thus you can have a 604E that is either 16 or 8 ohms, a 15" or 16" frame and a "G" series that could be with or without the tangerine phasing plug.
-
March 28th, 2006, 05:57 AM
#5
Inactive Member
Thanks Don for the great history. I have only recently heard of the RED series and i got a real history from your reply. Do you think the pair (mismatched) that i bought will sound comparable. They must be the same ohm as they were paired with the mastering labs xovers that were for 8 ohm.I have an extra 604 8G would the new frame one be a better match,Thank again
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.
Bookmarks